Sunday 3 June 2012

New York Times Co. can't be saved.... I disagree

Quote from article: "Neither Bloomberg nor any other suitor owns a big enough magic wand to make the company’s problems disappear."  http://www.investorplace.com/2012/05/bloomberg-cant-save-new-york-times-co/

I strongly disagree.  It may not be a "magic wand" as that would imply not requiring any work... however, I do have the answer - not just for the NYT - but for all media, print media, newsrooms & journalists who care to step up to the plate.

The question becomes - who will listen? 

My weakness? I'm not already part of the "in-crowds"; I don't have a big name and portfolio to "wow" people with and I don't have the dollars to simply "make it happen" without help.

But let me ask this - so far, what earth-shattering, life-changing results have the "big names with portfolios and connections" actually managed to achieve in terms of long-term plans, results and sustainability?

Spend a day scouring Twitter and reading articles by the likes of Mathew Ingram, Jeff Jarvis, Clay Shirky - or the ones retweeted by these same groups of journalists and the only answer you can logically come to is that there has been no long-term plans, results or sustainability that will make a big enough impact on media and especially the print industry.

I'm easy to find if you care to look - between Twitter, Facebook and Linked-In and I'm the Publisher of the Gateway Gazette in Southern Alberta.

Who wants to take action with me to truly fix this global problem rather than spending so much time and money discussing what the problems are?

Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment